I recently transitioned into the world of project management, and I am constantly learning new ways within G Suite to streamline my projects, maintain project schedules, facilitate project and team meetings, as well as a number of applications to help me keep my projects organized. The top G Suite services that I use regularly to manage my projects include the following:
- Google Hangouts – With Google Hangouts, I can easily conduct project meetings with up to 15 users to simultaneously participate in a live video session with features, including screen sharing, chat inside the hangout, capture images, remote desktop capabilities, and more. Participants can be external users (i.e., non-Google users), which is a recent feature update for G Suite for Work customers.
- Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides – Real time collaboration is key to successful project management. The ability to quickly share and collaborate with clients on notes, project trackers, status, timelines, etc. is invaluable to remaining on time and within budget.
- Google Mail and Google Calendar – Google’s email (Gmail) and Calendar solution provides me with the tools to organize my communications with the client, ensure I respond in a timely manner, and I can easily track participation for project meetings. Gmail and Calendar work seamlessly together so that I’m not wasting time on searching for contacts or finding available time for required participants.
- Google Sites – With Sites, I can create a centralized place to quickly access a variety of information, including videos, calendars, presentations, attachments, website content and other artifacts.
- Google Groups – Google Groups enables me to create and participate in online forums and email-based groups, which is great for project management because I can easily communicate with my integrated project teams (IPTs). Contact groups also are great for sharing information and saving me time to distribute information.
In the past, Project Managers had to rely on third party applications and software to properly manage and control a project. Luckily, with G Suite, I have all the tools I need in one place to track milestones, deliverables, and project schedule.